How can I make sure my dirt bike is not stolen?
Check the VIN number of the dirt bike
For those who do not know what the VIN number of a dirt bike is, it is a 17-digit number that helps you to know if the used dirt bike is stolen or not, so you need to ask the seller for this number.
How do you tell if a motorcycle is stolen?
There are several ways to accomplish this task.
- Take the VIN numbers to your local police station. …
- Enter the VIN numbers in the VINCheck tool provided on the National Insurance Crime Bureau website. …
- Run the VIN numbers through an online commercial VIN-check service such as Cyclechex.com, cyclevin.com or instavin.com.
How do you check the VIN number on a dirt bike?
The VIN location on motorcycles and dirt bikes is typically on the steering neck. Some are marked on the motor close to the bottom of the cylinders. To find it, turn your bike’s handlebars to the left to look on the right side at the point where the steering head pushes through the frame.
What happens if you buy a stolen dirt bike?
Well, If you knowingly buy a stolen dirt bike and later are investigated by a police officer, be prepared to be arrested as a suspected thief on the spot. Even if you buy a stolen bike unknowingly, you may also likely be charged with a crime and you have to return the bike to its rightful owner.
Is it safe to buy a dirt bike without a title?
Even in states that require registering the bike, you generally don’t need a title, but just need to show up with the bike so they can do a vin check. Sometimes a bill of sale is useful (you should write one up when you buy the bike for good measure).
How do you make sure your not buying a stolen motorcycle?
How Not To Buy A Stolen Bike
- Step 1: Check the Ad. There are lots of kinds of bikes for lots of different purposes and lots of different people. …
- Step 2: Check the Seller. On eBay this is straightforward. …
- Step 3: Check the Serial. The easiest way is to ask for the serial number via phone or email before you meet up. …
- Step 4: Check the Bike.
How easy is it to steal a motorcycle?
How do thieves steal motorcycles? Sometimes it’s as easy as throwing a leg over and riding away. The thief walks up to your bike, disables anti-theft devices and locks, jump starts the engine and hits the road with your bike. It just takes one person who can get dropped off or take a bus to get within walking distance.
How do I check a VIN number on a motorcycle for free?
Other Free Sources on Motorcycles and Motorcycle VIN
- Motorcycle review sites, like Cycle World.
- Manufacturers’ websites.
- Local dealerships.
- Owner manuals.
What happens if someone steals my motorcycle?
Call the police. Use the non-emergency number and inform them you need to report a stolen motorcycle. Sadly, we live in a time when the police aren’t going to take action to secure the return of a single motorcycle, but you need the Police Report in order to file an insurance claim. … Notify your insurance company.
Can you look up a bike serial number?
Can you look up a bike serial number? Yes, you look up your bike’s serial number. They are usually situated under your bike’s bottom bracket.
What is the best free VIN check site?
Research.com provides the most comprehensive free VIN report, offering extensive details about the vehicle’s inspection and performance records, safety ratings, warranty, and more. It will also tell you when and where the vehicle has been listed for sale, as well as its sale price.
How do I check a VIN number on a motorcycle?
You can find it on the steering neck. However, some VINs are etched on motor close to the bottom of the cylinder. To see it, sweep the handlebars to the left and observe the right-hand side of the motorcycle frame at the point where the head of the steering dives into the frame.
What do I do if my dirt bike is stolen?
What to Do if Your Dirt Bike Was Stolen
- First, Call the Police and report the motorcycle stolen ASAP.
- Run an ad on Craigslist alerting potential buyers to your loss. …
- Consider any so called “friends” a potential suspect.
What do I do if I bought a stolen scooter?
If you think you’ve bought stolen goods
- Take the item to the police. As soon as you think it’s stolen you need to call the police on 101 or take the item to your local police station. …
- Ask for a refund. …
- If the seller won’t give you a full refund. …
- If you paid by debit or credit card. …
- If you still don’t have your money back.